- 2000: Taught myself to write HTML and CSS so I could build geocities sites about my virtual ‘dogz’ 🐶
- February 2018: Finally realised I could learn how to code for real, quit my candy making career and started a 12 week web development bootcamp at General Assembly 🍬
- June 2018: Started as a Junior Front-End Web Developer at Finder 👩🏻💻
- September 2019: Promoted to Engineer 🎉
- August 2020: Joined the Editor Fundamentals team at Atlassian 🥳
Things I’ve worked on
- [Finder] Design Ops: as a team we refreshed the navigation, page templates, side bar and more, giving the whole site a fresh new look and improved user experience. The page templates we created and rolled out across the site reduced bounce rate by ~25%.
- [Finder] Gutenberg CMS: building ‘blocks’ (components) for the new WordPress editor, using a hybrid renderer that renders Wordpress content in a Next.JS front-end.
- [Finder] Engineering diversity working group.
- [Finder] Tech Blog.
- [Finder] Web accessibility learning breaks.
- [Finder] Helped propose and implement web accessibility standards.
- Volunteer with the meetup group Men Championing Change.
I regularly speak to software engineering students at General Assembly about CSS, but occasionally speak at meetups too.
- “How to begin making web accessibility improvements”
at the SydCSS virtual meetup, April 2020
- “CSS images: not just for ‘funsies’”
at the SydCSS first time speakers night, June 2019
- “Finding your passions and utilising your skill sets”
at a General Assembly event ‘How to land your dream gig in tech’, June 2019
When I'm not at a computer
You'll usually find me going on walks with Lexi the Samoyed dog, exploring our local area and Sydney beaches. 🐶
Like most millenials, I have an ever increasing obsession with indoor plants and need to be held back from the Bunnings plant section. 🌱
I still bake on occasion and am trying to make #DevCakes a thing. 🎂
I'm also a bit of a bookworm, trying to mix up my reading list of my favourite fiction novels with technical and career development books. 📚